Two Weeks In...

Well, nearly two weeks into 2016 - unsure how I feel about this new year.  So much yet to happen.

Finalized the reservations for the next soonest trip - to San Diego.  Still have to arrange some electives, but at any rate, the next two weeks should be pretty chill since I am going to be overseeing a first year on pediatrics, and he's a fairly capable one, so I've been led to believe.

I really need to get back into the exercising... I did the video once this past week, I guess the goal this week will be to do it twice.  The weather is probably going to be getting better soon, so running might be on the list - just gotta get some new songs for the playlist and eventually some new shoes...

Duolingo streak is at 100!

I finished the TAR wars revisions and that COPD lecture, so now I have to make my Shutterfly album and after that, grand rounds..

Current book: For Whom the Bell Tolls - plenty accessible, and with my background in Spanish that is helpful.  I'm enjoying how he translates the more 'high class' dialect into older formal English with 'thy' and 'thee.'  Interesting choice.

Cardiovascular lectures... haven't watched one yet this week.  Maybe I can make up for it next week if I get enough sleep.  I have been doing plenty of medical article readings, that's for sure.

Violin - one of the books teaching 3rd and 5th position will be perfect for me I think.  It has exercises for strengthening the fourth finger.  The other book I got... first I got an "easy classical violin solos" which was way too easy.  Hardly more than the Suzuki level songs, they were all dumbed down versions.  So, I figure with Brandenburg Concerto under my belt and getting farther along on the Little Fugue, and adding a few more note-heavy songs and getting better at sight reading that maaaybe I was starting to get into the intermediate level?  So I got a 'classical sheet music for solo violin' book, with sonatas and such from Bach and a few other people I hadn't heard of, it sounded like exercises a la Brandenburg.  When it arrived, I was extremely happy with the sheer volume of pieces it contained - definitely a lot of bang for your buck.  The difficulty of the songs is a completely different story - way beyond my capabilities right now.  Maybe with practicing ONE of the pieces every day for an hour for a month I'd be able to get through a page.  On the plus side, it gives me something to aspire to and ways to tailor my training once I'm out of Redding.  If a song focuses on 4th position, get a 4th position book.  If a song focuses on double bowing, get a double bowing book.  Et cetera.  Intimidating, but I know with hard work I'll eventually progress.

I've been averaging 90 minutes a night on Fallout 4 - which has been excellent.

Imbolc is fast approaching!  I'm thinking:
   - Cheese plate focusing on sheep cheeses, e.g. soft cheeses, manchego; also seeds and dried fruit
   - Poppy seed cake
   - Irish lamb stew with likely potatoes, onions, parsnips/carrots
   - Mulled mead
   - Taking guesses on what the next month's weather will be like based on walks around in nature
   - Lighting candles

I've been experimenting with having more energy for things during the day - I'm drinking lots of tea, but having about 5 hours a night when I have very full, intellectually taxing days, is not quite enough.  I started taking a 'doctor formulated' energy pill, basically an energy drink in extended release form (various B vitamins, caffeine, guarana, etc).  I'll make a final report on it after I've taken it for several weeks.

Comments

Popular Posts