Mission accomplished: I now have in my possession a home-made aperture science hand-held portal device!!! Here are the finished pictures.
You can probably tell by my face I'm pretty excited about this. I'm glad my fiance talked me into going for the red lights (which I thought would be too difficult to do) - they look pretty cool. A big thank you goes to him for helping with the electronics. I'm good with my hands but physics and electromagnetism has never been my forte. Here are some more of the 'work in progress' pictures - should anyone want guidance on the final steps, you can post, but I really don't know that I can be much more helpful than thepropnerds on instructibles, without whom this project would never have happened!
*One thing I would like to note: I did order new spray paints - I was not satisfied with the quality of the previous ones, and I went with a flat black spray paint for the center piece over a glossy black. Still got a glossy white for the shells. Rust Oleum professional grade, up one level from the other Rust Oleum brand.