Monday, July 16, 2012

Random Recipes 15.01

So, wild blackberries, if you have never tried them, are several standard deviations above store bought or typical cultivated blackberries as far as flavor and awesomeness.  I don't know why this is, but they are definitely different.  I used to pick blackberries at local patches all the time, and haven't done so in quite a while.  As luck would have it, we currently live near a lot of blackberry patches and I went out with my fiance yesterday and we picked about 2 pounds of blackberries.  With so many, I thought I might try my hand at making a pie.  I've only ever had a berry pie once before, so this was going to be interesting.  I made everything essentially from scratch, as follows:

Crust: 2 sticks butter (sliced and frozen), 2.5 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 6-8tbsp water - basically mix, I did it by hand, and then make two separate spheres and refrigerate for about an hour.

Filling: 3 tbsp corn starch, 4-5 cups blackberries, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp lemon juice - mix it all together

Covering: 1 egg, 1 tbsp water, sugar to a certain consistency - blend together separately until it has a somewhat grainy texture







It's pretty simple - roll one ball of the pie dough to about 11-12 inches in diameter for an 8-9 inch pie tin, I made it about 1/4 inch thick.  Put it in the pie tin.  Roll out the other dough ball, and cut strips about 1/2 - 3/4 inch wide, and 6-9 inches long.  Pour the filling into the pie.  Layer the dough strips across in an alternating fashion.  Take the egg-water-sugar mixture and paint the tops of the dough so it glistens a bit.  If you don't think the sugar is apparent enough, take some extra sugar and lightly dust the surface of the strips so it makes a coating.  

Oven at 400 degrees F, put in uncovered for 30 minutes, then cover with tin foil and put in another 20-30 minutes until you can see the surface of the filling sizzling or making a few bubbles.  

Take out, cool, enjoy.  

It passed the taste test now too - quite delicious.  Unfortunately I don't have much to compare it to, so who knows how good it really is, but the sweetest tastiest ripe wild fresh-picked blackberries I could find can't possibly be bad!  Nom nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment